What is suicide?
Suicide means ending your own life on purpose. These people go through tremendous emotional pain. The state of despair, helplessness, hopelessness, etc. Leads them to suicidal thoughts and they end up taking their own life. There is no single cause attributed to suicide. Not all people who die by suicide have been diagnosed with a mental illness and not all people with a mental illness attempt to end their lives by suicide.
Suicidal thoughts cause
Suicidal thoughts/ suicidal ideation are the provoking suicidal thoughts. There is no single reason why someone would try to escape life by death. But certain causes increase the risk.
Biopsychosocial, environmental, and sociocultural causes may increase suicide risk.
Having biological + psychological + social characteristics.
Childhood abuse or trauma
Family history of suicide
Previous suicide attempts
Having a chronic disease
Loss of a person (significant relationship)
Access to drugs and firearms
Victim of physical abuse, harassment, etc.
Feeling of isolation
Exposure to suicidal behavior
Lack of access to mental health
Considering suicide as the solution to every problem
Suicidal thoughts symptoms
Most people who have suicidal thoughts shows some symptoms that they’re intending to die by suicide.
Here are some common symptoms. If you find someone with these warning signs, then act upon it and try your best to prevent this tragedy.
* When a depressed individual gives away his prize possessions.
* Perhaps the most common symptoms is talking about death, dying or hurting themselves.
* Commentary such as “when I’m gone…” or “I’m going to kill myself”
* When someone gets all the affairs in order.
* In many cases, people visit their loved one with the act to say goodbye.
* If you catch someone who is buying suicide materials like guns, rope, pills, knives, razors etc.This needs to be addressed.
* Social withdrawal or isolation.
* Increasing drug and alcohol usage
* Withdrawing from once-pleasurable activities
* Increased risk behaviors
* Scars or injuries from past attempts
* Changes in appetite and sleeping behavior
* Chronic illness
* A person openly talking about death, researching it, and considering the afterlife.
* Belief that suicide will end all the emotional pain.
* Appearing to be trapped. Feeling of hopelessness.
* Psychosis- A mental illness which disconnects you from reality.
* Hatred of oneself.
* Intense emotional pain
* Mood swings.From feeling low on one day and discouraged on another day.
* Sudden changes in personality.
* Severe anxiety
However, some people with suicidal ideation keep their thoughts and feelings a secret and so they show no apparent signs.
You may also like: